Sunday, December 26, 2010

Reflection on Learning Theories and Instruction

I have learnt in this class that our understanding of how learning occurs is only beginning to scratch the surface. We have moved from the original thinking by B F Skinner et al that the mind was a black box (Behaviorist) to information processing theory (Cognitivism). These two theories, however, did not explain how we advance knowledge and, therefore, an understanding of the social context and construction of meaning by learners for themselves brought us to the philosophy of social constructivism.
Presently, we are discussing learning concepts or evolving theories such as andragogy and Connectivism. Though these two theories have not entirely been accepted as learning theories, they attempt to describe instances where learning meets the technology (Connectivism) and the mature learners (andragogy).
This course has helped me to understand the changing dynamics of my learning process. Indeed, most of the classes I have taken before had what Dr. Ormrod referred to as “the terminal behavior” or the learning outcome. Today, Andragogy does explain the new challenges that I face when learning new concepts. Although  I have the primary responsibility for planning, carrying out and evaluating my own learning experiences (Merriam and Caffarella, 1991), the “briefcase” that I bring with me to the class includes almost all the items identified by Conlan, Grabowski, and Smith.
This course has further introduced me to blogging which I would say is the next frontier for learning in the 21st century. George Siemens (n.d.) described Connectivism as a learning process that occurs within environments not entirely under the control of the individual. My mind map and the use of new tools (the I-phone and the internet) have tremendously improved my access to information nodes that would have been hitherto out of reach. This has provided me with useful information at the click of a button.
I have learnt that Learning Theories provide the Instructional Designer with verified instructional strategies and techniques for facilitating learning. In understanding learning styles, Gardner (1993) described eight intelligences: linguistics, logical-mathematical, spatial, musical, bodily kinesthetic, interpersonal, intrapersonal and naturalist that provided me with a better understanding of learner’s intellectual ability and the different ways that each of this intelligence(s) can be demonstrated. Dr Ormrod (2010) avers that in any in-class learning environment, you have both the verbal and the visual learners. In the class discussions, there was a consensus that instructional designers should as much as possible attempt to match learning theory with content.
At the core of any learning style is the need for motivation. Keller (1999) provides the systematic ARCS model of motivational design, which suggests guidelines and methods for incorporating motivation tactics in learning environments. Keller further suggests that the Instructional Designer should establish the reasons for the learners’ decision to take the class.
It is important for me as an instructional designer not to restrict myself to only one theoretical position. I will need to explore different learning theories that have been developed by psychologist and then apply the principles and concepts that are of value to my specific design situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment